Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Recipe Wednesday: DIY Sage Turkey Breakfast Sausage



I just tried this recipe last week - it was my first attempt making sausage from scratch and my whole family loved the results! In fact the next day when we had a pasta/Italian sausage dish for dinner Peter (age 3) informed me that he wanted "the other sausage" instead of the Italian sausage on his plate!

I love how this is much more economical than buying ready-made turkey sausage. I often settle for the cheaper pork variety but my real preference is turkey since it's healthier and lower in calories/fat.  To keep the cost low on this recipe, I used dried herbs but I'm looking forward to summer when I can cook with fresh herbs from my garden.  Yay for spring!

Sorry I forgot to take pictures, but I am sure I will be making this again soon and will try to remember to do some pictures then.

Sage Turkey Breakfast Sausage

1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley or 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
2 Tbsp. fresh sage or 2 tsp. dried sage leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. fennel seed, crushed
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1-1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1 Tbsp. olive oil

In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.  Crumble the turkey over mixture and mix well.  Shape into twelve 3-inch patties. [Note: I chose to make them smaller, about 2 to 2-1/2 inches.]

In a large skillet, cook the patties in oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink.  Drain on paper towels if necessary.

Note: I scaled the ingredients down for 1 pound of meat and it worked great!

Recipe from Healthy Cooking Oct/Nov '10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design By Lucky Girl Design Studio © All Rights Reserved. | Copyright © My City Mommy LLC 2009 All Rights Reserved